Pecan Cornbread Stuffing
Savory and delicious.
- Dice the cornbread, then lay on a shallow pan and toast in the oven at about 350 until lightly toasted.
- At the same time, lay 1 cup of pecans on another pan and toast until fragrant: about 10 - 15 minutes.
In a large pot:
- Fry about 1/2 pound of bacon - chopped into 1" pieces (*see below for vegitarian version)
- Add 1 - 2 Tbsp butter or olive oil.
In this, sautee:
- 1 bulb of minced garlic
- 1 large diced onion
- 2 chopped stalks of cellery
- 2 apples: peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp herbes du provence
Stir in toasted cornbread.
Roughly chop the toasted pecans and stir them in.
- Add about 1 cup of chicken stock - more if you like your stuffing very moist.
You can then cover and heat on the stovetop and optionally slip the open pot of stuffing in the oven to brown on top.
Stuff the raw bird with stuffing and cook as usual. With the remainder, cover and heat on the stovetop and optionally slip the open pot of stuffing in the oven to brown on top. Mix all the stuffing together before serving.
*This recipe can also easily be modified to be vegetarian stovetop stuffing: omit the bacon (or use veggie bacon or tofu), omit the butter and use about 1/4 cup olive oil. Make sure to use lots of pecans and add other nuts like walnuts if you like. Use a vegetable stock. You could even add chopped dried apricots or figs.
*To make a large amount of stuffing, make a large batch of cornbread and double the rest of the ingredients. This will serve about 15.